During the first 1100's Florence was
totally surrounded by the estates of the main property
owners of the time: the counts Alberti, the Cadolingi
and the Guidi. The name of the location in which the
estate of Colle Alberti is located suggests that it
was a property of the Alberti, an antique family of
longobardic origin which around the years 1000 owned
a number of properties in the area of Prato. Around
1113, following the death of the count Ugo dei Cadolingi,
Tancredi degli Alberti married his widow, hence becoming
the owner of the large estates, castles and properties
located between Florence and Fucecchio. Most probably
Colle Alberti was among those.
The first written note mentioning podere Colle Alberti
is a contractual clause dating 1292 for the concession
of a piece of land as metayage, made by the owner named
Puccio, a discendent of the Alberti. In the same document,
in addition to the definition of the land (of approximately
6 hectars) there is also the concession to the metayer
of the use of a building for housing.
Later, between 1567 and 1607,
Colle Alberti becomes a farm belonging to the florentine
family named Strozzi. A number of documents mention
the Strozzi farm and reveal a very large property estate
reaching up to the Arno river. These same documents
reveal that the building named "Casanova" was already
part of this extended property and has always preserved
the same name: this is the building which currently
houses the agriturismo
of the Tenuta di Colle Alberti. The existence of the
villa and the annexed buildings as well as their agricultural
use -the barn and the cellar - is mentioned in a document
dating 1607 and listing the inventory of the goods left
by Piero di Pandolfo Strozzi at his death.
Later, until 1758, the ownership of
the Tenuta di Colle Alberti passed through various families
but there are no documents stating the various passages.
From 1758 on, the large historic archive preserved in
the farm provides detailed information. Of particular
interest is the passage of ownership in 1803 to a spanish
citizen of Cadice, named Don Giuseppe Perez Quintero,
which manages the estate for sixteen years. During this
period, Don Perez Quintero inserts his own coat-of-arms
carved in stone in the west wing wall of the villa.
The coat-of-arms is still there today. An estimate of
the estates' value, dating 1818, includes the villa,
the oil jars room, the barns, the private chapel, the
dove-cot, the clock tower and the ten farms which are
part of the estate, according to a configuration that
is quite similar to the current one.
In 1819 Don Perez Quintero sells the
property for health reasons and the estate becomes an
asset of a company named "Giovanni Antonio Sappa & Co.",
specialized in the trading of silk. When Giovanni Antonio
Sappa, the main owner, dies, the company closes and
Tenuta di Colle Alberti becomes a property of Antonia,
one of the two daughters and wife of Leopoldo Valle.
Since then and up to today, the property has never been
sold any more and has been only trasmitted by inheritance
from one generation to the other. The first photographic
documentation of the estate dates 1883, as mentioned
in that year's accounting documentation.
Since that time, Tenuta di Colle Alberti has always
been a wine producing estate Click
here to see the history of the estate through the
photographs taken from 1883 to today.